SheaMoisture sent me their African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal line to test out. If you follow my Instagram, then you know I was picked to be a SheaMoisture brand ambassador! So, I’ll be getting more SheaMoisture products this year to test and review for ya’ll.
My first box included a cute SheaMoisture headband and three products from their African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal line! After testing out these products for a month, I am able to provide my review of the line overall, and each individual product:
African Black Soap Bamboo & Charcoal Body Scrub
This body scrub says it deeply cleanses and exfoliates skin with a detoxifying cocktail of ingredients. The body scrub gently buffs away dead skin cells while also helping to absorb excess oil and impurities. Leaves skin cleansed, purified and smooth. You’re supposed to apply to damp skin and gently massage onto body using circular motions. Use once or twice a week.
I initially used this body scrub with my body sponge, but felt like I had to use too much product to coat my entire body. The second time I used it, I just used my hands and didn’t feel like I had to use a lot of product. I felt like the body scrub did leave my skin smooth and cleansed. I’m sure you could also use this body scrub on your face as an additional step in your facial wash regimen.
The African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal Body Scrub has a dark color and gritty texture. It feels like a body scrub should with the tiny “beads” found in the product. I do, however, think the dark and gritty texture made it messy to use in the shower. So proceed with caution ⚠.
African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal Detoxifying Foaming Facial Wash
The foaming facial wash says it deeply cleanses and detoxifies skin of dirt, impurities and makeup. It says to pump the dispenser 1-2 times and massage into damp face. I pumped two times cause I knew one wouldn’t be enough for my face #bigheadprobs 😂.
I did find the African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal Detoxifying foaming facial wash to be deeply cleansing for my face. However, it did leave my face somewhat dry as my face is generally drier in the colder months. I think this facial wash would be great to use in the warmer months when your face is genuinely oilier.
African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal Hydrating Gelee Moisturizer
The hydrating gelee says that it hydrates with an ultralight gel formulation, while helping to balance oily, blemish-prone skin. It says to apply to face and neck with upward motions.
When applying this gelee, I felt a cool, tingling, feeling. But I didn’t initially feel this the first time I used it, which was interesting. Since the facial wash was drying, I felt like I had to apply more gelee to hydrate my face. The gelee is definitely a great summer moisturizer as it’s lightweight and doesn’t leave your face feeling oily.
Overall Review of the African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal Line
- This line has a light, subtle, scent.
- I think the facial wash would be great for the summer when your skin tends to be oilier. As mentioned above, the facial wash left my face a little dry and I did have to overcompensate with the moisturizer. But, I think that’s just due to the colder weather as my face tends to be drier during colder months.
- Although my skin isn’t naturally blemish-prone, I do get pimples here and there. I actually got two pimples on my face during the month I used this line. But that facial wash made them go away in literally 1-2 days! There was no discoloration, although I usually don’t get discoloration with pimples, unless I’ve picked at them. We all pick at our pimples at some point in time… don’t lie 🙄!
- The gelee moisturizer was definitely my favorite from this line. It will definitely be my go-to moisturizer in the warmer months as it’s lightweight and doesn’t leave your face oily.
- The body scrub is somewhat messy, so be careful how you apply in the shower. However, it does exactly what it says it’ll do for your skin.
Have you tried the SheaMoisture African Black Soap & Bamboo Charcoal line? Let me know your thoughts!